Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to block UV from PEX

On Jul 14, 8:04*am, Matt wrote:
Anyone have recommendations on how to block UV light from the PEX
tubing in my basement? *All PEX runs are bundled and run just under
the ceiling joists, but I have three large windows that let in quite a
bit of light. *I will eventually build a soffit to isolate these
pipes, but want an interim solution since I've read that PEX should
not be exposed for more than 30 days and I won't have time to build
the soffit in the next 30 days. *Foil wraps, paint, etc? *Any
recommendations for something that'll be quick and easy?

Hang UV film in front of windows, if they are not dual pane you could
adhere the film to the glass, Most any box store has UV film, or
curtains in daytime even blankets or sheets or roll construstion
paper, it will save on AC costs as well. Its less trouble than
painting pipe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 14, 9:27*am, ransley wrote:
On Jul 14, 8:04*am, Matt wrote:

Anyone have recommendations on how to block UV light from the PEX
tubing in my basement? *All PEX runs are bundled and run just under
the ceiling joists, but I have three large windows that let in quite a
bit of light. *I will eventually build a soffit to isolate these
pipes, but want an interim solution since I've read that PEX should
not be exposed for more than 30 days and I won't have time to build
the soffit in the next 30 days. *Foil wraps, paint, etc? *Any
recommendations for something that'll be quick and easy?

Hang UV film in front of windows, if they are not dual pane you could
adhere the film to the glass, Most any box store has UV film, or
curtains in daytime even blankets or sheets or roll construstion
paper, it will save on AC costs as well. Its less trouble than
painting pipe.

True enough. In any case I doubt enough uv survives being reflected
onto the pipe to make a difference. The op could do nothing and still
be ok. I certainly wouldn't bother.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 14, 8:04*am, Matt wrote:

[...]

be ok. *I certainly wouldn't bother.- Hide quoted text -

Ive had a pvc supply in sun for 10 years, im suprised it still intact,
you are right not much UV will reflect up any way its absorbed in the
direct rays probably 90+%, When fabric fades from UV is whats mainly
in direct rays.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 14, 8:04*am, Matt wrote:

[...]

in direct rays.- Hide quoted text -

Yea, I have some sections of pvc that have been outside for 15 years
now. Sprinkler lines that come out of the side of the house down near
the ground. They are in the shade from trees and bushes. They don't
show any signs of serious damage. I agree, pretty much need full
direct sunlight for any noticable uv damage on anything.
Posted to alt.home.repair

jamesgangnc wrote:

Ive had a pvc supply in sun for 10 years, im suprised it still
intact, you are right not much UV will reflect up any way its
absorbed in the direct rays probably 90+%, When fabric fades from UV
is whats mainly in direct rays.- Hide quoted text -

Yea, I have some sections of pvc that have been outside for 15 years
now. Sprinkler lines that come out of the side of the house down near
the ground. They are in the shade from trees and bushes. They don't
show any signs of serious damage. I agree, pretty much need full
direct sunlight for any noticable uv damage on anything.

The first sign will be when you bump it and it shatters. UV basically makes the
PVC very brittle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 14, 10:42*am, "Bob F" wrote:
jamesgangnc wrote:
Ive had a pvc supply in sun for 10 years, im suprised it still
intact, you are right not much UV will reflect up any way its
absorbed in the direct rays probably 90+%, When fabric fades from UV
is whats mainly in direct rays.- Hide quoted text -

Yea, I have some sections of pvc that have been outside for 15 years
now. *Sprinkler lines that come out of the side of the house down near
the ground. *They are in the shade from trees and bushes. *They don't
show any signs of serious damage. *I agree, pretty much need full
direct sunlight for any noticable uv damage on anything.

The first sign will be when you bump it and it shatters. UV basically makes the
PVC very brittle.

Why did people switch the topic from the OP's question about UV and
PEX degradation to discussing PVC? They're two different animals.

I agree that the OP's situation doesn't present a problem.
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc...6/gen06495.htm
The glass will filter most of the UV, and it's unlikely that the
significantly reduced strength of reflected UV will compromise the
PEX.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 14, 10:57*am, RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 14, 10:42*am, "Bob F" wrote:

jamesgangnc wrote:
[...]

R- Hide quoted text -

They might be two different animals but both are not designed with uv
protection. The discussion didn't go from pex to pvc, it went from
pex to is there a general risk involving indirect exposure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

jamesgangnc wrote:
On Jul 14, 10:57 am, wrote:
On Jul 14, 10:42 am, "Bob wrote:

jamesgangnc wrote:
[...]

Hmmm,
Why only PEX then? Even your skin is in danger then. Some really worry
too much. So far I never heard PEX being damaged by indirect exposure.
Ordinary glass blocks quite a bit of UV ray already. Nothing lasts forever.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 14, 10:42*am, "Bob F" wrote:

jamesgangnc wrote:
[...]

This from the PPFA:
Can PVC pipe be exposed to the sun?
PVC does not readily degrade when exposed to sunlight (ultraviolet
radiation) due to natural UV inhibitors present in the material. Short-
term exposure to sunlight, such as during construction, is typically
not a problem for PVC pipe. PVC piping may be used in outdoor
applications when the piping system is painted with a light-colored
water based acrylic or latex paint that is chemically compatible with
PVC. When painted, the effects of UV exposure are significantly
reduced.

This is spot-on for the OP's question:
http://www.plbg.com/forum/read.php?1,272730

Some PEX has UV inhibitors, some don't. There are different cross-
linking methods for PEX, and that affects water quality. There's no
simple answer other than the OP will no longer be in his house when
diffuse, filtered, UV light finally breaks down the PEX. He probably
won't even be alive!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RicodJour" wrote in message

[...]

===================

You're cluttering the discussion with facts. Cut it out. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:

Ive had a pvc supply in sun for 10 years, im suprised it still intact,
you are right not much UV will reflect up any way its absorbed in the
direct rays probably 90+%, When fabric fades from UV is whats mainly
in direct rays.

PVC is made with all kinds of UV resistance, anywhere from a few
months (starts discoloring after that) to 70 years for siding. I've
seen lots of white PVC water pipe turn purple-brown after a few years
in Phoenix and become more brittle, but isn't too easy to break.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 14, 10:42*am, "Bob F" wrote:

jamesgangnc wrote:
[...]

pex to is there a general risk involving indirect exposure.- Hide quoted text -

Since they are two different materials, the risk involved with UV
exposure to one has nothing to do with the risk of the other. In
other words, while both should not be exposed to excessive UV, exactly
what happens to PEX could be very different from what happens to
PVC. Both an umplugged TV and sodium should not be placed in
water. The results however of not following that guidance are very
different. One catches fire and explodes, the other simply becomes
inoperable.

In the case of PVC, the manufacturers have test data that show the
only significant effect from UV exposer is to make it more brittle and
subject to shattering when hit. Other than that it does not lessen
it's ability to function in normal pressure water systems.

As long as PEX will accept paint, then that should protect it from
UV. That is what is recommended for PVC exposed to UV, as in pool
applications. But exactly what happens to the characteristics of PEX
from UV, I don't know.