Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Replacement windows or new storms and screens?

On Jul 13, 8:01*pm, "Confuzzled in Sloatsburg"
wrote:
We are giving consideration to replacing our 40 year old wood windows. *They
are drafty and bugs get in through the screens.

We are planning on selling the house in 3 to 7 years.

Here is what we see our options as being:

Replacing with vinyl
Replacing with wood
Replacing JUST the storms and screens
Not replacing anything at all

Are there any other options that I am missing?

HEEELP!!!
Confuzzled in Sloatsburg

Storms do little to stop air infiltration, that where the new window
makes a big difference. Easlly 40% of a windows energy savings can be
air leakage. Windows are rated by air infiltration as well as maybe 6
other parameters. www.energystar.gov is a good place to start
learning, learn facts of a window before talking to any salesbsmen.
When I was shopping windows I enjoyed pointing out their bs lies on
what they pushed. The independant testing of various parameters is
what you need to understand, Vlt, Cdf, U and R value, Glazing types,
Shg, air infiltration, are how windows are compared, if your area is
windy air infiltration is important, if it gets real cold -f and you
humidify CDF is critical and Pella do poorly. Windows are a big
decision and big business with lost of junk and warrantys companies
never honor because the fine print allows them to many outs, so
research it.