Posted to alt.home.repair
James H. James H. is offline

Default What is the logic of banging DOWN on a crankshaft to remove a flywheel?

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 10:22:44 -0700, Smitty Two wrote:
1. After we've all disagreed with you, now we're going to agree

Hi Smitty,
I think we all agree at this point on two things:
1. Most experienced people use the pry-and-bang method to remove flywheels
2. Clearly it's embossed on my flywheel to use the tap-and-lift method

Further, since I had never worked on a lawnmower before (that's why I asked
for advice from you wonderful guys), the pry-and-bang method turned out to
be dangerous (since I broke many things trying it) and that the
tap-and-lift method turned out (for me) to work wonderfully.

So, I hope we can agree that advice to newbies should include not only the
most-often-used pry-and-bang method but also the suggestion to consider the
more appropriate tap-and-screw method.

2. I do hereby publicly commend you for remaining polite while some of
your detractors have not.

Thank you. My only goal is to get the right answer and to post the results
to help the next guy. That's what the USENET is all about, isn't it?

If I had known what I know now, I would never have needed to ask the
question. Now I consider myself well versed on the various methods (both
good and bad) to remove a flywheel on my particular Craftsman Briggs and
Stratton lawnmower engine.

3. The title of *this thread* is "what is the logic ..." In that vein,
I have a followup question: Do you or do you not now understand the
logic?

Yes. Completely. I'm sorry it took me so long to understand. I appreciate
your patience. I hope the next nntp reader benefits from our wonderful and
polite technical discussion.

Jim