Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default White roofs

"serebel" wrote in message
On Jul 13, 9:51 pm, LSMFT wrote:
There is a push to cool the earth, save energy and keep your home cooler
at less cost to have white roofs. Especially in the cities to reduce
heat islands.
What about northern states where we heat more than air condition. Should
we go to white roofs or black roofs or middle colors?

--

The only thing a white roof will cool is your house in the
winter. This "man made climate change" thing is just a huge money

reply: I agree with you. In the thousands of years roofs have been around,
seems like common knowledge would have evolved saying that this color is
better than that one. Instead, we get these new government revelations from
people who are educated beyond their capacities as to what they "think" is
the best.

I remember in the sixties, in Las Vegas, they did a slight pitch roof, put
gravel on it, then put rocks the size of softballs and white tar or paint.
Those gradually wore out and were replaced, and now are seen no more.

If a house is set up where a considerable heat load can be conducted to the
house from the roof, it is plain built wrong. There is a layer of air
there, and yes, attic ventilation fans will keep down the attic temperature,
but the sun load on the roof will be there no matter what, unless we all
wrap them in tinfoil, which may be an alternative, since we know tin foil
(excuse me, aluminum foil) hats are very valuable in fending off the evil
controlling rays of evil beings.

But then, I'm not sure. How about a couple of million for me to do a study?
Send the money in small unmarked bills, and I'll get back to you. Just like
they do it in Washington. The money will be in the freezer wrapped in tin
(aluminum) foil.

Steve, a libertarian