Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_6_] Steve Barker[_6_] is offline

Default What is the logic of banging DOWN on a crankshaft to remove aflywheel?

On 7/13/2010 3:36 PM, Harry K wrote:
On Jul 13, 7:28 am, Steve wrote:
On 7/13/2010 4:55 AM, Hustlin' Hank wrote:

The "preferred method" is to use a puller because the risk of damaging
other components is lessened. But, the "traditional method" also works
well for those with experience.

The experienced mechanic will probably use the traditional method due
to the TIME it takes. Time is money for the professionals. They can
remove a flywheel in a couple minutes as compared to having to tap
holes and use a puller which may take much longer.

It actually takes about 4 seconds.

I have used both methods on various engines. Most motorcycle engines
use a totally different type of puller and MUST be used because of the
weak metal surrounding the flywheel to pry on (replacing a motorcycle
case gets expensive and time consuming.

On some of todays generators, the only way to get the armature off the
engine is to use a hammer.

In closing, whatever works for ya! You can't argue with success.

Hank

--
Steve Barker

Yep, if you don't count the time to loosen the nut and spin it out far
enough

Harry K

I was counting that time. G

--