Posted to alt.home.repair
Molly Brown Molly Brown is offline

Default Necessary to replace skylights when re-roofing?

On Jul 13, 8:48*am, Mikepier wrote:
I am looking to get a new roof soon. It is approx 20 years old ( 2
layers on roof now), as well as the 2 skylights. The skylights are in
good shape and do not leak. However, whoever installed the skylights
( prior owner of house) had put them on top of the old shingles
(instead of the plywood sheathing), then the new roof was placed
afterwords. So I have 2 questions.

1) If the skylights are in good shape, should I just leave them? The
inside is *boxed in finished sheetrock and it will require tearing it
out to replace the skylight

2) If I keep the skylights, will the skylight flashing pose a problem
with the new roof since it is resting slightly higher on the old roof
and sheathing?

The roofer is supposed to completely remove the skylights. He should
not have to disturb the sheet-rock to do this. Remove all the old
roofing material, re-install the skylights and install the new roofing
material. If he can’t do this he doesn’t deserve to be giving
estimates without knowing what the hell he should be doing.