Posted to alt.home.repair
Brent[_3_] Brent[_3_] is offline

Default What is the logic of banging DOWN on a crankshaft to remove a flywheel?

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 18:37:36 +0000 (UTC), Jeff The Drunk wrote:

I think the OPs point is there is a right way and there's the wrong way

As far as I'm concerned the youtube vid illustrates the right way.

TITLE: Flywheel Removal - The Right Way and Several Wrong Ways
QUOTE: "The best technique requires a special tool - a flywheel puller; the
least preferred method requires nothing more than a hammer and a
screwdriver, but can easily result in serious damage to the flywheel and or
crankshaft."

TITLE: http://www.repairfaq.org/samnew/lmfaq/lmflyrml.htm
QUOTE: "There are several approaches to flywheel removal. The best way by
far is to use a special puller designed for your particular engine. Briggs
& Stratton and Tecumseh flywheels usually have 2 or 3 holes placed around
the center of the flywheel which are used with special puller blocks. These
have self tapping bolts which you thread into the holes and then tighten
down nuts to pop the flywheel off of the crankshaft."