Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default What is the logic of banging DOWN on a crankshaft to remove aflywheel?

On Jul 13, 1:59*am, "James H." wrote:
I uploaded some pictures which show the Briggs & Stratton flywheel and even
the instructions on the flywheel itself to tap the holes.

Direct Link:http://img251.imageshack.us/g/image001ol.jpg/
Short Link:http://yfrog.com/6zimage001oljx
Web Player:http://img251.imageshack.us/slidesho...image001ol.jpg

It's pretty certain by now that the traditional shock and awe method works;
it's just not the correct approach for this type of engine (according to
Briggs and Stratton and Sears).

I ruined my flywheel and intake manifold trying that hammer & pry method,
so, if you are going to use the brutish approach, it's best you use it on
someone elses' engine.

Thanks for all the help. I learned a LOT about lawnmowers. I'll let you
know when it's all back together (parts haven't arrived yet).

I realized I didn't have actual pictures of the flywheel being removed, so
I'll re-enact them tomorrow in the daylight and add them.

You are 'assuming something not in evidence'. That they say to use a
puller in that stamping does _not_ say 'not to use the traditional pry/
hammer method'. I gaurantee you that if you were to take that mower
to a shop and point out the instructions they would laugh and when you
turned you back there would be a thump and the flywheel would be off.

Harry K