Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default What is the logic of banging DOWN on a crankshaft to remove aflywheel?

On Jul 13, 2:42*am, "James H." wrote:
On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 18:54:50 -0700, Oren wrote:
Learn some tradition, I say.

Hi Oren,
I don't disagree with you on replacing the flywheel (I ordered one from
Sears in fact, but didn't mention it because it wasn't relevant to the
discussion).

However, please realize, that "tradition" is apparently dead wrong here.

This is tradition:http://www.waldeneffect.org/blog/Bri...atton_flywheel

James, the bottom line is, people have used the "hit with hammer and
pry" method for years w/o doing any damage to whatever they are
working on.

I used that method to remove everything from AC compressor clutch/
pulley assembles, to wiper blade arms on some GM cars that are have
Loctite on the shafts they are bolted on to.