Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shop Wall and Electric

On 13 Jul 2010 17:24:31 GMT, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Bill wrote in :

Bill wrote:

This makes me curious as to what it takes to drive an auger bit (the
salesman at Home Depot spoke so highly of them).

By the way, this is the bit I used. Maybe not an auger bit depending
on your definition:

http://www.irwin.com/tools/drill-bit...edbor-max-spad
e-bits

I think I would have had this problem with any bit having
screw-threads on the tip (which make it eager to bite).

I've found that some of those screw tips pull the bit through the wood
way too aggressively and the cutting head doesn't have time to keep up.
A bit actually *needs* to slip to deal with changes in the wood.

I've found they work great for this application. This is about the only
application I'd use them in, though.