Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff The Drunk[_5_] Jeff The Drunk[_5_] is offline

Default What is the logic of banging DOWN on a crankshaft to remove aflywheel?

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 18:09:14 +0000, Brent wrote:

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 17:26:41 +0000 (UTC), Jeff The Drunk wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plktb3a_-MI

I think the OPs point is there is a right way and there's the wrong way
and that everyone does it the wrong way for his type of B&S engine
because it's faster, easier, and cheaper than doing it the right way.

Both ways work.

As far as I'm concerned the youtube vid illustrates the right way.
First one I removed back in th 70's was under the instruction of a
Briggs/Kohler/Tecumseh/Lawnboy authorized repairman. I purchased threaded
jigs for different size crank ends designed solely as a aremoval tool to
protect the thread end of the crank. I've repaired dozens of bent and
sheared crank keys as a hobbyist small engine repairman for profit and as
favors for family and friends and not once did it take me more than a rap
or two to loosen the flywheel. And I never did any damage. I however
don't recommend the average Joe to undertake the job in the first place
as evidenced by this James H unfortunate experience.