Posted to alt.home.repair
James H. James H. is offline

Default What is the logic of banging DOWN on a crankshaft to remove a flywheel?

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 09:52:34 -0700 (PDT), Bob Villa wrote:
Smitty Two wrote:
*"Bob F" wrote:
There must be 100 special tools that are "required" to work on things

I think part of this might well be a liability issue.

I have used both methods...

Thanks Steve Barker, Bob F, and Bob Vila for the information.

As can be seen from the pictures published, the videos, the PDFs, and the
tools sold, there are two main ways to remove the flywheel from a Briggs
and Sratton lawnmower.

For the expert (you guys), the bang-on-the-crankshaft method must surely
work; but for me, admittedly a novice at working on lawnmower engines, the
documented method to use a flywheel puller is the way to go.

As can be seen from the posted pictures, they pry-and-bang method only
netted me a broken intake manifold and the need to extract a broken screw;
whereas the tap-and-pull flywheel puller method easily removed the flywheel
sans damage.

Let's all agree there are two ways, and the "proper" way is documented
right on the flywheel in raised letters (which requires tapping the holes);
but let's also agree that most of you are successful with judicious use of
the pry-and-bang method which I personally do not recommend for anyone who
has not worked on a lawnmower before.

Thanks all for your help. I'm waiting for the parts to arrive so I can
replace the blade, the manifold, the gasket, and the flywheel key.

Thanks!!!!!!!!
Jim

Pictures of the flywheel lettering:
http://yfrog.com/jobriggsandstrattonflywhej