Posted to alt.home.repair
James H. James H. is offline

Default What is the logic of banging DOWN on a crankshaft to remove a flywheel?

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 09:25:11 -0500, Steve Barker wrote:

NO ONE suggested "banging on the flywheel".
You are WRONG WRONG WRONG again.

I'm sorry. That's a typing mistake made in haste.

I agree. Nobody suggests banging on the delicate flywheel.

MANY people suggested the following:
- protect the top of the crankshaft
- pry up on the flywheel from below
- bang down on the crankshaft

So I tried that, and failed miserably (damaging more than I fixed mainly
because this is the FIRST lawnmower I've ever worked on).

Much to my chagrin, belatedly I find out, embossed on the flywheel, are the
words "TO REMOVE, USE WHEEL PULLER HOLES" with two big arrows pointing to
the untapped wheel puller holes.

Direct link: http://img708.imageshack.us/g/briggs...tonflywhe.jpg/
Short link: http://yfrog.com/jobriggsandstrattonflywhejx

Both the Briggs & Stratton web site and Sears sells the wheel puller that
fits those holes (1/4 x 20) as part number BS 19069.

Now I know so much more, thanks to all you guys. I just want the next guy
to not bang on the Briggs & Stratton crankshaft when trying to remove their
lawnmower flywheel.

Thanks everyone!