Posted to alt.home.repair
James H. James H. is offline

Default What is the logic of banging DOWN on a crankshaft to remove a flywheel?

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 21:37:15 -0700 (PDT), Harry K wrote:

Back to your repeated "because I couldn't do it, everybody who has
ever done (and continues to do) it is wrong, wrong, wrong" You have a
lot of manuals that you need to start rewriting.

Hi Harry,

It's true I couldn't do it, but PLEASE LOOK at the picture here! (If not
for yourself, then for the sake of the next guy that gets the advice to
whack the crankshaft.)

Notice, once the flywheel is cleaned and chalked, it clearly has embossed
on the face "TO REMOVE, USE WHEEL PULLER HOLES". It has two big arrows
pointing to those untapped wheel puller holes.

Pictures he
http://img708.imageshack.us/g/briggs...tonflywhe.jpg/
http://yfrog.com/jobriggsandstrattonflywhej
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/7...ttonflywhe.jpg

Very many web pages, it turns out, state to tap the holes and use a wheel
puller that fits into the holes. Even the Briggs and Stratton web sites and
Sears sells the wheel puller that fits into these holes (once tapped).

So all I'm saying, for the next guy, not for me, is:
1. DO NOT bang and pry this type of Briggs & Stratton flywheel
2. The correct approach is to tape two 1/4 x 20 holes & use the Briggs &
Stratton or Sears flywheel puller, part number BS 19069.

I thank everyone, yes everyone. Especially since I have NEVER before worked
on a lawnmower so I was very clumsy and broke a lot of things. But let's
all learn so as not to lead the next guy astray. The way to remove THIS
flywheel is not to bang on the crankshaft but to more gently lift up from
the pre-drilled un-tapped holes.