Posted to alt.home.repair
James H. James H. is offline

Default What is the logic of banging DOWN on a crankshaft to remove a flywheel?

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 09:18:31 -0500, Steve Barker wrote:
For some reason, Briggs and Stratton prefers us to tap the holes ourselves

WRONG WRONG WRONG again. That is NOT what those holes are for

I thank everyone for their help but let's not lead the next guy astray
please.

In addition to the instructions belatedly found in the Sears and Briggs &
Stratton PDFs previously listed, in response to this post, I further
cleaned and chalked the flywheel and posted a picture of it he
Direct link: http://img708.imageshack.us/g/briggs...tonflywhe.jpg/
Short link: http://yfrog.com/jobriggsandstrattonflywhejx
Web player:
http://img708.imageshack.us/slidesho...ttonflywhe.jpg

Stamped right on the Briggs & Stratton flywheel are the embossed words:
"TO REMOVE, USE WHEEL PULLER HOLES", with arrows pointing to the two holes.

If you don't believe me, please see the photo below (and please let's all
agree that the right way to remove THIS flywheel is to tap the holes and
pull with the Briggs & Stratton flywheel puller P/N: BS 19069.

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/7...ttonflywhe.jpg

Thanks again for all the wonderful help!