Posted to alt.home.repair
James H. James H. is offline

Default What is the logic of banging DOWN on a crankshaft to remove a flywheel?

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 06:48:03 -0700 (PDT), Eric in North TX wrote:

I have a friend like you;
he comes up with a problem and goes person to person asking for
advice. He never takes it, he does what he was going to do anyhow

Actually, I took the advice I was given.

I even bought the recommended Briggs & Stratton flywheel puller tool which
is supposed to protect the threads of the crankshaft as you bang on it (see
the photos). http://yfrog.com/6zimage001oljx

It just didn't work for me.

Partly because I screwed up royally (I always said this is the FIRST
lawnmower engine I've ever worked on). But also partly because I found out
after the method failed for me that it isn't the recommended method.

To be precise, I'm SURE the method works for most of you. I'm absolutely
positive of that, even if I'm not quite sure HOW it works - it certainly
must work for most of you because you all say so.

Anyway, I took all your advice. I screwed up. I found a better way (at
least from my perspective). And I took photos of it. I annotated those
photos. And I responded to all the serious queries.

I do thank you all.
Jim