Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shop Wall and Electric

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 19:52:37 -0400, Bill wrote:

I shouldn't have the least worry about threading a 12-2 romex cable
through 3/4" holes, and back through the same holes, should I?

You should be able to use 5/8" holes.

Nothing else will be in the holes. The issue that bothered me (a
little) is knowing that both cables would always be used at the same
time. I'm going to try out my new auger bits tonight--starting off by
making some bit props to get the holes lined up..should be fun. : )

One thing you might do is put the wire on a stick so it comes off
straight, without kinks. It makes it a *lot* easier to thread
through the holes, if it's straight and not all loopy.

Agreed. You can fab up a simple stand that you can mount the entire coil of
12/2 on and then spool it off as you need it. Much easier and neater than
fighting with pull what you need from a coil on the floor, and then trying
to get it to pull through straight. You don't want to pull kinks into your
wire, and spooling it off really makes a nice pull easier. HD used to sell
a little stand, but I don't think they do now. Maybe Lowes, or one of the
others still do. It was somewhere around $30. It's worth looking around a
bit.

--

-Mike-