Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Downie[_3_] Tim Downie[_3_] is offline

Default Gluing a metal cap on a post (was Making a metal cap for a wooden post)

pete wrote:
On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 22:09:23 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Tim Downie wrote:
Andy Dingley wrote:
On 4 July, 01:02, Roger Dewhurst wrote:

Get a stainless steel bowl of the right size and hammer into into
the shape that you want.

Not the easiest job, to work stainless like that!

In the end, I got some roofing lead and have battered it into shape.
Apart freom needing a little trimming up, it doesn't look too bad.
Now I need to make sure that it stays there on top of the post.
(It will be accessible to the public). Any suggestions as to what
kind of glue would be best?

Tim

no glue at all. Nail the side with galv roof nails or similar.

Very few glues work in regimes of vastly variable humidity. Those
posts will MOVE.

Something rubbery and gap filling is possible, but that's about all.

Hot glue maybe.

Most glues don't work with lead. The metal forms a layer of oxide
which is not strongly bonded to the underlying metal. It may stick
for a
short time, but in due course it will come loose. Then you've got
differential expansion - the metal will expand/contract due to
temperature differences, more than the wood does. That puts more
strain on the
joint and will cause the glue to crack.

I really would like to avoid nails. The domed cap is meant to be symbolic
of a departed friend's bald head. Adding nails to it would lend it a
certain "Frankenstein" air.

Is there no heavy duty flexible mastic/glue that might stick if I were to
score the lead deeply on the underside?

Tim