Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] dom@gglz.com is offline

Default Plasterboarding

He even made us fit all the noggins in a straight
line, forcing us to skew-nail every on of *the b*****ds on (and there were
bloody hundreds - and all cut by hand) and put all the nails in evenly
spaced and in straight lines! *

Much easier now with gas nailers and/or self-drilling screws.

I use a couple of spacers to set the noggins in at exactly the right
height, nail from the top side, remove spacers, nail from the bottom
side.

And don't forget to be a bloody mind reader
and fit all the necessary noggins behind the boards for light fittings,
toilet flushes, wash hand basins etc, etc, etc.

Yup, same here, again I've made up a spacer/jig to set radiator
noggins/brackets and another for backboxes (and a template for marking
and cutting the plasterboard cut out, prior to fixing).

Now as for your "just the uprights" - not a really good idea - and why go to
all that trouble of fitting noggins if you're not going to nail the boards
to them?

Manufacturer data says fix every 400mm over the surface, and every
200mm at the edges. So, that's 7 screws (they're quick, and cheap
enough now) up the centre stud (at 600mm) spacing, I then put two
screws in each noggin (so actually 200mm spacing), then work my way
around the edge.

That's a lot of screws, but the way I see it - do the early jobs to
the very best of your ability, and the later jobs will turn out much
better and with less effort.

Have done 85 sheets this way in the chapel conversion I'm doing. Pity
I've got a back injury though. From now on, someone(s) else will shift
and fix the plasterboard.