Posted to alt.home.repair
James H. James H. is offline

Default What is the logic of banging DOWN on a crankshaft to remove a flywheel?

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 21:29:02 -0700 (PDT), Harry K wrote:
BTW if those holes were "designed to be tapped 1/4 x 20" they would
have come from the factory that way.

Hi Harry,
I appreciate your input. I can't say why the factory doesn't tap those
holes, but, they have arrows and something like the words "tap here" on
them and all the Briggs and Stratton instrucions say to tap them, so, it's
pretty clear what to do (once you know the answer).

I suspect the reason they don't tap them ahead of time is pure cost; albeit
it can't cost a lot.

See these references, all of which say to tap the holes when pulling the
flywheel on a Briggs and Stratton engine:

http://engines.myfaqcenter.com/Answer.aspx?p_faqid=3422
http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/...el_removal.asp
http://www.repairfaq.org/samnew/lmfaq/lmflyrml.htm
http://www.ehow.com/way_5655790_brig...l-removal.html