Posted to alt.home.repair
James H. James H. is offline

Default What is the logic of banging DOWN on a crankshaft to remove a flywheel?

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 20:19:40 -0700, Bob F wrote:

James H. wrote:
On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 11:05:38 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:
As for breaking the intake manifold, that's your fault. You should've
looked before prying. Pry on something that isn't the intake
manifold.

I don't disagree with you ... that it's my fault for breaking the
intake manifold by prying down on it.

What I learned is that this engine (at least) isn't designed for
prying up and banging down.

It's designed for you to tap a 1/4 x 20 thread into the two
pre-existing holes in the flywheel and simply pulling the flywheel
off with a harmonic balancer pulley.

If it was designed for that, the holes would have been tapped.

It IS designed for the flywheel puller and the holes are not tapped.
We already pointed out this in the owners manual.

In addition, the Briggs & Stratton FAQ says to tap the holes with a 1/4 x
20 tap:
http://engines.myfaqcenter.com/Answer.aspx?p_faqid=3422

This says it's dangerous (to the equipment) to smack the crankshaft.
http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/...el_removal.asp

Read this:
http://www.repairfaq.org/samnew/lmfaq/lmflyrml.htm
It says the same thing.

This says to use the flywheel puller:
http://www.ehow.com/way_5655790_brig...l-removal.html

The more I learn about this, the more I realize the "traditional" shock and
awe method is wrong (and dangerous to the equipment).

Yes, it works (for those of you with experience); but it's not the proper
method of removing the flywheel on this type of engine.

I'll post some pics for you guys to see.