Posted to alt.home.repair
James H. James H. is offline

Default What is the logic of banging DOWN on a crankshaft to remove a flywheel?

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 18:54:50 -0700, Oren wrote:
Learn some tradition, I say.

Hi Oren,
I don't disagree with you on replacing the flywheel (I ordered one from
Sears in fact, but didn't mention it because it wasn't relevant to the
discussion).

However, please realize, that "tradition" is apparently dead wrong here.

This is tradition:
http://www.waldeneffect.org/blog/Bri...wheel_removal/

However, the owners manual begs to differ with tradition:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=htt...fRWxQAo5_C_ A

The ONLY way to remove this type of Briggs & Stratton flywheel is to tap
the pre-drilled holes and lift up with a two-bolt harmonic balancer puller,
the lifting force being near the center of the flywheel and the indented
tip of the crankshaft.

The "flywheel puller" is part #363 (Sears part number 19069, Briggs and
Stratton part number BS 19069) on page 38 and 39 of the Owner's Manual for
the Craftsman Rotary Lawn Motor, 6.5 Horsepower, 21" Rear Discharge, Model
No., 917.388853 with the Briggs & Stratton 4-cycle engine, model number
123K02-0444-E1.

Here is the flywheel puller for $7.50 online:
http://farmex.now.tc/catalog/product...oducts_id=2368

It's sheer folly to try to bang the flywheel off with shock and awe.
http://www.briggsracing.com/en/artic...el-puller.aspx