Posted to alt.home.repair
James H. James H. is offline

Default What is the logic of banging DOWN on a crankshaft to remove a flywheel?

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 17:32:53 -0700 (PDT), ransley wrote:

The fact that you had to drill it for the bolts is worrysome, it wasnt
designed to be maintained and now is probably out of balance.

Allow me to clarify. I didn't drill anything. All I did was tap the two
pre-drilled holes in the flywheel. They are there, it turns out, expressly
for the purpose of removing the flywheel.

Apparently the proper way to remove this type of Briggs and Stratton
flywheel is NOT to bang down on the crankshaft while prying up; nor is it
to lift up on the edges with a flywheel puller; but it is to lift up from
near the center with the two bolts in those pre-drilled holes.

For some reason, Briggs and Stratton prefers us to tap the holes ourselves,
which I did with a 1/4 x 20 tap. Once I did that, the flywheel lifted up
easily with a harmonic balancer puller.

Point is not many people seem to know this so that's why the word needs to
go out that the other methods are deprecated for this type of motor.