Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default What is the logic of banging DOWN on a crankshaft to remove a flywheel?

James H. wrote:
On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 13:07:40 -0700 (PDT), JIMMIE wrote:

Should read, "What is the logic of prying against your intake
manifold"

I don't disagree.

I'll have to snap some pictures though, as you'll need to see that if
you're going to go 360 degrees around the flywheel, you have to pry on
SOMETHING in all directions and the intake manifold was in front,
across the entire front of the engine, crossing from the air intake
on one side to the valve mechanism on the other side.

Of course, if I knew that dirty gray pipe crossing the front of the
engine was brittle plastic, I would have given up on the pry-bar
method. Besides, knowing what I know now, nobody in his right mind
would pry on anything to get this type of flywheel off.

The right way to do it, I found out belatedly, is to tap the two
pre-existing holes with a 1/4x20 tap and simply use a harmonic
balancer to lift the flywheel up almost effortlessly. The force is
high, but the effort is low due to mechanical leverage.

You don't pry to move the flywheel. You pry to move the crankshaft up a bit to
give it room to move down when you tap. Will saying it the second time get it
through to you?