Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default What is the logic of banging DOWN on a crankshaft to remove a flywheel?

James H. wrote:
On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 11:05:38 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:
As for breaking the intake manifold, that's your fault. You should've
looked before prying. Pry on something that isn't the intake
manifold.

I don't disagree with you ... that it's my fault for breaking the
intake manifold by prying down on it.

What I learned is that this engine (at least) isn't designed for
prying up and banging down.

It's designed for you to tap a 1/4 x 20 thread into the two
pre-existing holes in the flywheel and simply pulling the flywheel
off with a harmonic balancer pulley.

If it was designed for that, the holes would have been tapped.