Posted to alt.home.repair
James H. James H. is offline

Default What is the logic of banging DOWN on a crankshaft to remove a flywheel?

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 13:07:40 -0700 (PDT), JIMMIE wrote:

Should read, "What is the logic of prying against your intake manifold"

I don't disagree.

I'll have to snap some pictures though, as you'll need to see that if
you're going to go 360 degrees around the flywheel, you have to pry on
SOMETHING in all directions and the intake manifold was in front, across
the entire front of the engine, crossing from the air intake on one side to
the valve mechanism on the other side.

Of course, if I knew that dirty gray pipe crossing the front of the engine
was brittle plastic, I would have given up on the pry-bar method. Besides,
knowing what I know now, nobody in his right mind would pry on anything to
get this type of flywheel off.

The right way to do it, I found out belatedly, is to tap the two
pre-existing holes with a 1/4x20 tap and simply use a harmonic balancer to
lift the flywheel up almost effortlessly. The force is high, but the effort
is low due to mechanical leverage.