Posted to alt.home.repair
James H. James H. is offline

Default What is the logic of banging DOWN on a crankshaft to remove a flywheel?

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 06:18:14 -0700 (PDT), Harry K wrote:

you were given clear, explicit explanations of why it works
and also that it is a common method of accomplishing the goal.

Hi Harry K,
I might have been given clear explicit explanations; but that doesn't mean
I understand the logic of banging down on the immovable crankshaft.

The fact that so many people suggested that "common method", yet the
experience I had (where it couldn't possibly work) is what confuses me.

I fully appreciate prying UP on the flywheel (although, as my experience
dictates, that's the absolutely wrong approach for this Craftsman 3.5 HP
Briggs and Stratton lawn mower engine).

So far I've heard that banging down on the flywheel "momentarily deforms"
the crankshaft ... and that ... somehow ... magically? ... allows the
flywheel to pop up on the tapered shaft.