Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fixing a hole ...

On 7/12/2010 11:47 AM chaniarts spake thus:

harry wrote:

On Jul 10, 3:16 am, David Nebenzahl wrote:

... where the rain gets in (with apologies to Lennon & McCartney).

I need to fill a hole in a garage floor. But it's an odd situation,
and I'm not sure what the proper way to do it is. I ask here with
much trepidation: tried to find answers locally, but I have no
"go-to" guy (or gal) I can get good answers to these kinds of
questions from. So I'll take my chances here. (If you *must*
speculate without actually knowing what the hell you're talking
about, go ahead: I'm hoping to get at least one or two answers from
knowledgable people.)

snip

they use steel plate (1/2" 3/4" perhaps?) to cover holes in the roadway.
they support all things legal to drive on roads, so that just may be
easiest. you might need a crane or loader to drop it in there.

As I said elsewhere, I'm thinking the metal-plate route is the way to
go. I'm waiting for a couple estimates to come in.

From what I've gleaned from talking to metal fabricators, 1/2" to 3/4"
would probably be way overkill; they're telling me thta 3/8" plate is
probably enough. After all, trench plates in roadways have to withstand
all kinds of traffic, including 18-wheelers and paving equipment. The
most this will ever see, if anything, is one tire of an automobile
rolling over it. Most likely, it will never actually be driven over.

I'll let you know how the estimates look.