Posted to rec.woodworking
Phil Brown[_2_] Phil Brown[_2_] is offline

Default Steam bending advice

On Jul 11, 6:42 pm, "Josepi" wrote:
We need details!

How did you steam it and what kind of radius and length did you need?

Details.
The piece was a oak about 3 1/2" wide to trim the inside of the window
and make up the gap between it and the trim on the very uneven wall.
The trim piece is made from two carved twin bed head boards glued and
biscuited together.
It ended up being about 7 feet long. I made the box from a piece of
waste ABS pipe with an inlet glued to one end and a relief hole-about
3/32"-at the other. Very important. I cut a piece of plywood to sit on
the boiling pot on the stove and bored a hole to fit the inlet pipe.
Nothing needed to be really close fitting and little steam escaped on
the way to the box. Slope it so that when you open it you don't get a
cascade of boiling water on you when you open it.
Cooked it for about 9 minutes and it came out pliable and went into
the form-an identical window I have yet to install-easily.
Have plenty of clamps-I had 15-and at least one other pair of hands.
You have about a minute to get it into shape.
All in all a very satisifying experience and the result was one happy
girlfriend.
Phil Brown