Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Steam bending advice

I need to bend some 3/16" oak and I know enough to know I shouldn't
overcook it. Can some one give me a guideline on how long to leave it
in?
Thanks in advance,
Phil Brown
Posted to rec.woodworking

Go to Google.

I found http://www.wcha.org/tidbits/steamfaq.html

"Now when I say "one hour of steaming per one inch of wood" I mean one
hour of SERIOUS steam with NO interruptions."
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 8, 11:08 am, "dadiOH" wrote:
Phil Brown wrote:
I need to bend some 3/16" oak and I know enough to know I shouldn't
overcook it. Can some one give me a guideline on how long to leave it
in?
Thanks in advance,
Phil Brown

How long is it and what kind of radius do you need? Unless it is quite
short and/or you neeed a very tight radius, you can bend it dry. Oak bends
quite well.

--

dadiOH

Tried it dry, no luck. The bend is quite tight.
Phil Brown
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 8, 1:48*pm, Phil Brown wrote:
I need to bend some 3/16" oak and I know enough to know I shouldn't
overcook it. Can some one give me a guideline on how long to leave it
in?
Thanks in advance,
Phil Brown

I don't know if you can find it, but Norm of the NYW did a show on
this exact subject. He bent oak into a victorian style hat and coat
rack.
Joe G
Posted to rec.woodworking

Here is one data point.

I watched a chairmaking demo where the guy "cooked" his 1" square, green
stock for an hour.

He was able to bend it to a 6" radius.

It was very cool.

"Phil Brown" wrote in message
I need to bend some 3/16" oak and I know enough to know I shouldn't
overcook it. Can some one give me a guideline on how long to leave it
in?
Thanks in advance,
Phil Brown

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 8, 1:48*pm, Phil Brown wrote:
I need to bend some 3/16" oak and I know enough to know I shouldn't
overcook it. Can some one give me a guideline on how long to leave it
in?

Totally dependent on your heating setup and the ambient temperature.
Rough guess, 15 minutes is all you'll need if the chamber is
reasonably tight and you're putting a goodly amount of steam into the
chamber.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 12:17:05 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour
wrote:

Totally dependent on your heating setup and the ambient temperature.
Rough guess, 15 minutes is all you'll need if the chamber is
reasonably tight and you're putting a goodly amount of steam into the
chamber.

I took a seminar a Lee Valley Tools a few years ago on steam bending.
Learned that wood compresses inside the bend to form the bend (not
expands outside the bend) and that you can't uncompresses a piece of
wood so bent. Might be useful info to any new steam benders.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 12:06:23 -0700 (PDT), GROVER wrote:
On Jul 8, 1:48Â*pm, Phil Brown wrote:
I need to bend some 3/16" oak and I know enough to know I shouldn't
overcook it. Can some one give me a guideline on how long to leave it
in?
Thanks in advance,
Phil Brown

I don't know if you can find it, but Norm of the NYW did a show on
this exact subject. He bent oak into a victorian style hat and coat
rack.
Joe G

I recall that programme. From memory, didn't he split the wood,
rather than cutting it, before it went in the steamer?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 11:34:18 -0700 (PDT), Phil Brown
wrote the following:

On Jul 8, 11:08 am, "dadiOH" wrote:
Phil Brown wrote:
I need to bend some 3/16" oak and I know enough to know I shouldn't
overcook it. Can some one give me a guideline on how long to leave it
in?
Thanks in advance,
Phil Brown

How long is it and what kind of radius do you need? Unless it is quite
short and/or you neeed a very tight radius, you can bend it dry. Oak bends
quite well.

--

dadiOH

Tried it dry, no luck. The bend is quite tight.
Phil Brown

God, I love it when people ask questions and fail, even when prompted,
to give clear examples of what the hell they're trying to do. Next
you'll be mad at me for not giving you the answer to an incompletely
posed query. thud

--

EXPLETIVE: A balm, usually applied verbally in hindsight,
which somehow eases those pains and indignities following
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/9/2010 7:56 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Phil Brown wrote:
On Jul 8, 11:08 am, wrote:
Phil Brown wrote:
I need to bend some 3/16" oak and I know enough to know I shouldn't
overcook it. Can some one give me a guideline on how long to leave
it in?
Thanks in advance,
Phil Brown

How long is it and what kind of radius do you need? Unless it is
quite short and/or you neeed a very tight radius, you can bend it
dry. Oak bends quite well.

--

dadiOH

Tried it dry, no luck. The bend is quite tight.
Phil Brown

Well, then, best I can tell you is that when a veneer plant is slicing oak
the flitch has been steamed for 24 hours.

I would think about 20 minutes in active steam would be plenty. Pull it
out periodically and get a feel for where it is at. start with samples.
This should not be too difficult. If the bend is too tight and you get
splitting, use a backer along the outer radius to support the fibers.
I'm not sure I ever heard about over cooking. Guess it is possible, but
you are mopre likely to under steam than over, I would think.

Harvey

Posted to rec.woodworking

RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 8, 1:48 pm, Phil Brown wrote:
I need to bend some 3/16" oak and I know enough to know I shouldn't
overcook it. Can some one give me a guideline on how long to leave it
in?

Totally dependent on your heating setup and the ambient temperature.
Rough guess, 15 minutes is all you'll need if the chamber is
reasonably tight and you're putting a goodly amount of steam into the
chamber.

When you say a "reasonably tight" chamber it should be noted the chamber
really needs to be reasonably loose, so steam can readily flow. A
reasonably tight chamber will result in too little heating and too much
kindling, at least by my definition of "reasonably tight":-)

--
Jack
Gun control is not about guns; it's about control.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 9, 8:52*am, Jack Stein wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 8, 1:48 pm, Phil Brown wrote:
I need to bend some 3/16" oak and I know enough to know I shouldn't
overcook it. Can some one give me a guideline on how long to leave it
in?

Totally dependent on your heating setup and the ambient temperature.
Rough guess, 15 minutes is all you'll need if the chamber is
reasonably tight and you're putting a goodly amount of steam into the
chamber.

When you say a "reasonably tight" chamber it should be noted the chamber
really needs to be reasonably loose, so steam can readily flow. *A
reasonably tight chamber will result in too little heating and too much
kindling, at least by my definition of "reasonably tight":-)

Well, if the chamber isn't doing it's job, then it's being
unreasonable.

Yes, some steam has to escape.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 8, 6:50*pm, pete wrote:
On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 12:06:23 -0700 (PDT), GROVER wrote:
On Jul 8, 1:48*pm, Phil Brown wrote:
I need to bend some 3/16" oak and I know enough to know I shouldn't
overcook it. Can some one give me a guideline on how long to leave it
in?
Thanks in advance,
Phil Brown

I don't know if you can find it, but Norm of the NYW did a show on
this exact subject. He bent oak into a victorian style hat and coat
rack.
Joe G

I recall that programme. From memory, didn't he split the wood,
rather than cutting it, before it went in the steamer?

Pete, your memory serves you well, he did split the oak stock rather
than saw it.

Joe G
Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks, all. I've got a nice piece of PVC pipe, not too big, not too
small, and I'll be steaming this weekend.
Wish me luck.
Phil brown
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote the following:

On Jul 8, 11:08 am, "dadiOH" wrote:
Phil Brown wrote:
[...]

Not sure how you escaped my " delete Smart a-- sender file", but I have
corrected it now !

Sparky 01

Posted to rec.woodworking

I just steamed the piece this afternoon and it went beautifully.
Cooked it for about 9 minutes, put into the form and intallled it into
the window.
Thanks all.
Phil Brown
Posted to rec.woodworking

We need details!

How did you steam it and what kind of radius and length did you need?

I ask because I have a large front entrance that needs an extension for my
8" walls. The radius would be about 2-3' and about 6-7' across after bent.
Not quite 180 degrees.

Previously I attempted to bend soem 2" cutoff trim in MDF. I left it in the
closet for a few months and let it sloop naturally and slowly. I wasn't
curved enough when I took it out, months later and when I went to increase
the bend...it snapped! The stuff can't hold it's own weight but when you
bend it...it snaps???? GRRRRRR...

"Phil Brown" wrote in message
I just steamed the piece this afternoon and it went beautifully.
Cooked it for about 9 minutes, put into the form and intallled it into
the window.
Thanks all.
Phil Brown

Posted to rec.woodworking

RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 8, 1:48 pm, Phil Brown wrote:
I need to bend some 3/16" oak and I know enough to know I shouldn't
overcook it. Can some one give me a guideline on how long to leave it
in?
Totally dependent on your heating setup and the ambient temperature.
Rough guess, 15 minutes is all you'll need if the chamber is
reasonably tight and you're putting a goodly amount of steam into the
chamber.

When you say a "reasonably tight" chamber it should be noted the chamber
really needs to be reasonably loose, so steam can readily flow. *A
reasonably tight chamber will result in too little heating and too much
kindling, at least by my definition of "reasonably tight":-)

Well, if the chamber isn't doing it's job, then it's being
unreasonable.

Yes, some steam has to escape.

Soaking a small diameter piece like that in Downy (Use a capped PVC
tube) works very well. Reusable too. No heat.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Steam bending advice (addendum)

RicodJour wrote:
[...]

Forgot to mention to dilute with distilled water. Some wood will
discolour.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 12, 12:23*am, Robatoy wrote:
On Jul 12, 12:18*am, Robatoy wrote:

Soaking a small diameter piece like that in Downy (Use a capped PVC
tube) works very well. Reusable too. No heat.

Forgot to mention to dilute with distilled water. Some wood will
discolour.

I'd be concerned that the soap would interfere with paint/stain (gag)/
whatever finishing of the piece.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 12, 12:29*am, RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 12, 12:23*am, Robatoy wrote:

On Jul 12, 12:18*am, Robatoy wrote:

Soaking a small diameter piece like that in Downy (Use a capped PVC
tube) works very well. Reusable too. No heat.

Forgot to mention to dilute with distilled water. Some wood will
discolour.

I'd be concerned that the soap would interfere with paint/stain (gag)/
whatever finishing of the piece.

Regular cat lacquer worked alright. After a thorough drying, some
sanding and a coat of sanding sealer. Didn't try stain.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 11, 6:42 pm, "Josepi" wrote:
We need details!

How did you steam it and what kind of radius and length did you need?

Details.
The piece was a oak about 3 1/2" wide to trim the inside of the window
and make up the gap between it and the trim on the very uneven wall.
The trim piece is made from two carved twin bed head boards glued and
biscuited together.
It ended up being about 7 feet long. I made the box from a piece of
waste ABS pipe with an inlet glued to one end and a relief hole-about
3/32"-at the other. Very important. I cut a piece of plywood to sit on
the boiling pot on the stove and bored a hole to fit the inlet pipe.
Nothing needed to be really close fitting and little steam escaped on
the way to the box. Slope it so that when you open it you don't get a
cascade of boiling water on you when you open it.
Cooked it for about 9 minutes and it came out pliable and went into
the form-an identical window I have yet to install-easily.
Have plenty of clamps-I had 15-and at least one other pair of hands.
You have about a minute to get it into shape.
All in all a very satisifying experience and the result was one happy
girlfriend.
Phil Brown
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 11, 6:42 pm, "Josepi" wrote:

Previously I attempted to bend soem 2" cutoff trim in MDF.

MDF doesn't bend this way. Kerf it.
Phil Brown
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

Soaking a small diameter piece like that in Downy (Use a capped PVC
tube) works very well. Reusable too. No heat.

Forgot to mention to dilute with distilled water. Some wood will
discolour.

I've always understood it is the heat that allows wood to bend, and the
water (steam) is mainly there to facilitate heating the wood w/o burning
it. Not saying soaking in cold, soapy water will, or will not work, but
for gradual bends, 3/16th thick wood can bend some with little fuss.

--
Jack
Obama Ca Efficiency of the DMV, compassion of the IRS!
Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanx!

Is the kerf best on the inside of the curve, outside or both?

On Jul 11, 6:42 pm, "Josepi" wrote:

Previously I attempted to bend soem 2" cutoff trim in MDF.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hey moron! I tried cutting either side and then both
the ****ing pice just crumbled in my hands!!
What is your game poasting such **** advise!!???????
****ing morons and glue!

On Jul 11, 6:42 pm, "Josepi" wrote:

Previously I attempted to bend soem 2" cutoff trim in MDF.

Steam bending redwood Mark Haveman Woodworking 4 July 15th 09 12:44 AM
Steam bending Chris Woodworking 0 May 11th 07 04:55 PM
Anyone steam bending? [email protected] Woodworking 6 March 13th 07 01:11 PM
Springback when steam bending? Doug Miller Woodworking 12 March 1st 06 06:02 PM
Steam Bending Chris Woodworking 4 February 14th 05 01:48 PM