Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Material for workbench top

On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 14:09:16 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
Ziggs wrote:

I have a 15 year old particle board workbench. The top is worn and I
would like to put some type of material over the top so that I have a
smoother surface. Any Suggestions? If so, what material should I
have cut to specs and what's the best way to place it (thickness)?
Nail it in? Sand top, apply adhesive, press new top on?

Solid core interior doors make good work bench tops. They're pretty cheap.

Butcher block is fine stuff for a bench, and stunningly inexpensive for
what you get. McMaster sells it. I've got a half dozen from them; most
are 30" x 120" but I've got a couple of smaller ones also. Rip the
particle board off first.

Ikea is a great place to buy butcher block slabs. I picked up a Beach butcher
block top for about half what I could find similar stuff anywhere else. The
stuff is *expensive* to ship, so saved that too. Did have to pay GA sales
tax, though.