Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
Jeff The Drunk[_5_] Jeff The Drunk[_5_] is offline

Default Amana portable A/C: shop limitations, innerestingthermodynamics....

On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 12:25:48 -0400, Existential Angst wrote:

A'ight, so I got one of those portable ditties, for le shop, around
10,000 btu, single hose, as opposed to the more efficient dual hose. A
few years ago. Now the unit is flooding condensate.

Upon tearing this unit apart, it is clear that these units are
*destined* to fail in a shop, from dust.
Altho there is a ****ty filter on the cold air coil, there is no filter
on the condenser coil, which uses shop air to exhaust the heat, and thus
can get VERY dirty.
And indeed it was was.

I've owned an Amana portable window unit since 1995. Biggest BTU rating
without being 230 volt. I think it's around 14 or 15K. I would say
without any doubt that is one of the very best units on the market at the
time. Have never done anything to it except clean the inside filter which
just pulls out and washes in the sink. It has an energy saver feature
which shuts the entire unit down when thermostat has been satisfied then
turns the fan on low at 5 minute intervals to "sniff" the air to see if
cooling is required, if so compressor starts and the fan returns to
whatever setting you chose.

Your problem isn't the unit its your stupidity in placing it in such a
hostile environment where no window unit would survive long.