Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] ant30dio@yahoo.com is offline

Default Window AC Compressor won't shut off

On Jul 10, 3:16*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Jul 10, 1:13*pm, " wrote:

On Jul 10, 12:13*pm, Jeff The Drunk wrote: On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 09:05:19 -0700, wrote:
On Jul 10, 11:46*am, Jeff The Drunk wrote:
snip

Yes, Might have just been the *mechanics inside the thermostat
clicking , I don't know for sure, But I opened it up, and can see a
burnt (slightly) plastic piece in there, and can see where the
contacts are burnt, although they were not welded together when I took
it apart, I can see where they probably were.
With the t-Stat disconnected, the compressor does not run, with the
wires (2) jumped out the compressor runs.
So it looks like that's what the problem is.
Thanks for the help.
I have to try to find a new T-Stat now, the "Appliance connection"
store in town is closed already.
This is a Emerson Quiet Cool, Model # 24GD44 and there ate numbers on
the old T-stat. See pictures here.http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...load%20and%20f......
Thanks, Tony

I cant recall seeing a thermostat labeled Low and High. Usually those
are fan speed settings. Does the low and high knob you are turning have
some extra travel in between the low and high or does it just click
from low to high?
No sorry, it don't really say High and low, It is actually labeled 1-10.

Thanks, Tony

Ok that makes sense. If you gave the capacity in BTU/hr and the voltage it
might help. If you actually hear contacts clicking and not just some of
the mechanics inside the thermostat clicking there might be a stuck
relay. I've seen welded shut contactor points on residential compressors
so it's possible on a window unit if equipped with a contactor aka relay.- Hide quoted text -

A good appliance parts store like we have nearby in the Chicago
suburbs can probably cross-match the thermostat to another one. *Where
are you located?

I am Near Wheeling WV. We have a Appliance connection (the name of it)
in town I will check with to try to get the best price. Repair
Clinic .com has it for $45.00 plus shipping.
Thanks, Tony