Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Fixing a hole ...

Colbyt wrote:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
... where the rain gets in (with apologies to Lennon & McCartney).

I need to fill a hole in a garage floor. But it's an odd situation, and
I'm not sure what the proper way to do it is. I ask here with much
trepidation: tried to find answers locally, but I have no "go-to" guy (or
gal) I can get good answers to these kinds of questions from. So I'll take
my chances here. (If you *must* speculate without actually knowing what
the hell you're talking about, go ahead: I'm hoping to get at least one or
two answers from knowledgable people.)

Sketches:

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/y...aragehole1.gif
http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/y...aragehole2.gif

California, earthquakes, old non-compliant construction, those are the top 3
reasons that I suggest you run fast away from this.

I can not imagine residential construction, (my assumption), where that room
would ever have be intending for finishing and I very much doubt that it can
pass the muster now.

I am not convinced that your plan, while extremely well thought out, will
meet the codes. Personally I would not get involved in this without a
written certification from a structural engineer.

If you feel the need to go ahead, I second the suggestion of another poster
to use plate steel. The road crews temporarily cover some fairly big
trenches around here with 1/2 or 3/4" steel plate on the roads where the big
rigs drive. You would need to confirm the thickness as I have never stopped
to measure it. -

While I don't agree with using a steel plate for this (I think properly
applied concrete and reinforcing is best), I do think you have a *lot*
of other code compliance issues to address on this one. Items that come
to mind include sealing the entire floor area so that no spilled
gasoline or gasoline vapors can make their way to the room below, and
ensuring that the supporting joists are actually adequate for the weight
of the slab + vehicle. 2x10s don't sound correct to support 50# per
square foot of concrete plus two? 1,000# per square foot concentrated
loads from the vehicle tires.