Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Electric fence operation problem

Ian French wrote in message

"N_Cook" wrote in message
2 stage derivation of (should be) 1800V pulses.
Fence had failure in the first stage probably due to intermittant

corroded
battery supply contact.
Anyway the 15A 60V 8N06 powerFET blew along with an associated double
diode
BAV23.
Replaced both and works to some extent. This FET has plenty of drive 5V

of
pulses of repeat 3uS for the gate and about 3V ringing swing on the

output
to the first step up transformer. I assume that is as to be expected,
never
having the chance to see hot-side SMPS drive scope traces.
But rectified output only climbs to about 1V of DC before the final

stage
(unreadable marking) thyristor discharges that supply into the second

step
up transformer, but of course not even enough to get a glow on a 110V
neon.
Doubling the C setting the 3uS pulses, to give longer repeat rate and

that
intermediary voltage rises to about 3V but still not enough for any

proper
final output. Adding more C and DC is then much less than 3V.
What would people expect the intermediary DC to be? obviously higher

than
12V battery supply
Next stage would be disconnect the thyristor if that should be working

but
leaky and draining the intermediary DC but any other ideas? Would

explain
why the printing is very indistinct I suppose.
DC ohms of the airgap type transformers are
intermediary 0.1R//10.6R
HV 0.3R//29R which seem reasonable, ie not major shorted turns if any

Hi,

I found this schematic (circuit diagram) somewhere on the net, is it
anything like your one ?

http://www.electro-tech-online.com/a...ects-design-id
eas-reviews/4007d1108193301-need-help-developing-electric-fencing-my-farm-el
ectricfence.jpg

Ian.

The 'IV' and HV stage is very similar, this one has a lot of SM so a bit
more distributed for the higher voltages, ie tripling up of diodes and Rs

Do you have the URL of the text relating to that pic
Search on that site just enigmatically/awkwardly/insultingly returns
"The answer given for the random question was incorrect."