Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Craftsman push lawnmower wobble after hitting rocks won't start

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 18:24:09 -0700, "James H."
wrote:

On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 11:19:20 -0700 (PDT), Joe wrote:
When you get your replacement mower

I may have to buy a new mower.

You guys were 100% right (that the flywheel key was broken); but the vidoes
on how to repair a briggs and stratton were ALL WRONG!

There is NO WAY you're gonna leverage the flywheel up. I tried, and I ended
up breaking a gas:air tube from the air filter. I'm not sure now if it's
worth repairing as multiple parts of plastic and aluminum are now broken.

Did you pry up or down with the screwdriver?

For the record, the ONLY way to get that flywheel off is with a harmonic
balancer puller (an 8-inch gear puller failed to take it off). I still
don't have it off because I didn't have the right sized bolts for my
harmonic balancer puller ... but anyone who says you can leverage the
flywheel off with a screwdriver is mistaken.

No. What Eric and Harry K said is correct. Growing up, tinkering with
mowers I never used (or knew) a puller..

Loosen the nut up to the top of the crank -- do not remove it and make
sure the threads are below the nut. Never hit the crank with a hammer,
with the nut completely removed. That will cause thread damage and you
cannot thread the nut back on.

Position the screwdriver under the flywheel 180° opposite the flywheel
key way, pry up with the screwdriver and smack the nut with the
hammer. It may pop the first time or need a couple more smacks. Even
adding a penetrating oil around the key way/crank will help.

I may need to buy a new lawnmower.