Posted to alt.home.repair
Evan[_3_] Evan[_3_] is offline

Default Running water in my garage

On Jul 8, 10:31*pm, wrote:
OK, here's my scenario. *I have a typical ranch/rambler with the attached
garage on the front in an L-shape. *Previously a small part of the
garage-to-house entry was boxed in to create a laundry room, and this is
where the water heater also lives.

What I want to do is add an outside water spigot on the front of the garage.
The simplest way is to tap the cold water line in the laundry room, go up
into the garage roof framing, over and then down the front wall. *The
laundry room is heated space, but the garage has been known to freeze in the
winter, so I'll add a cutoff inside the heated space.

Mainly my question is one of material. *The obvious best is rigid copper,
but that's a buttload of work, expensive, and I'm lousy at sweating. *Plus I
have a semi-enclosed bit of framing where I have to make a 90-degree turn
and can't really get in to lay pipe.

CPVC? *Affordable and not hard to use, but the same problem with getting
through that boxed-in bit of framing.

PEX? *I like it, but have never worked with it, and I don't have the right
tools.

PVC? *Indoors?

My gut choice for this is polyethylene tubing, the same stuff we use to pipe
the refrigerator's ice maker. *Very affordable and easy to snake through
enclosed spaces with no joins. *I used the 3/8" stuff a few years ago to add
a filter housing to my kitchen sink, using the push-lock poly fittings.
Very easy and no leaks to date. *But is it anything like code compliant?

--
Due to Usenet spam, emailed replies must pass an intelligence test: if
you want me to read your reply, be sure to include this line of text in

So here is a question in return to you...

If the install at the desired location (i.e. front wall of garage) is
so
uber complicated that you are considering using alternative materials
to install that one run of pipe, why not save yourself some
aggravation
and install the outside faucet on the laundry room wall and just buy
a longer hose ?

Hmm... Sounds almost too simple...

~~ Evan