Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Stein Jack Stein is offline

Default Steam bending advice

RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 8, 1:48 pm, Phil Brown wrote:
I need to bend some 3/16" oak and I know enough to know I shouldn't
overcook it. Can some one give me a guideline on how long to leave it
in?

Totally dependent on your heating setup and the ambient temperature.
Rough guess, 15 minutes is all you'll need if the chamber is
reasonably tight and you're putting a goodly amount of steam into the
chamber.

When you say a "reasonably tight" chamber it should be noted the chamber
really needs to be reasonably loose, so steam can readily flow. A
reasonably tight chamber will result in too little heating and too much
kindling, at least by my definition of "reasonably tight":-)

--
Jack
Gun control is not about guns; it's about control.