Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Running water in my garage

On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 02:31:04 GMT,
wrote:

My gut choice for this is polyethylene tubing, the same stuff we use to pipe
the refrigerator's ice maker.

Well, IMO, you shouldn't have used that for the ice maker either.
They will spring a leak, with no provocation. In the middle of the
hose, not at the end even. Replace it with copper tubing. At that
thickenss you can just bend the stuff. Maybe for bending you should
wrap it around a tube or cylinder so that it doesn't kink.

A friend's tubing to her ice maker started leaking, fortunately when
there was a party in her basement and someone noticed. The fridge was
in the kitchen on the first floor. The PE tubing to my hunidifier
broke all by itself too.

Neither of these were harsh enviromnents, certainly not the girl's and
even in my case, the leak was 30 inches from the furance, so I don't
think the heat did it, since the furnace is in the basement where it
never gets very hot. I didn't notice the hose being brittle either.

Very affordable and easy to snake through
enclosed spaces with no joins. I used the 3/8" stuff a few years ago to add
a filter housing to my kitchen sink, using the push-lock poly fittings.
Very easy and no leaks to date. But is it anything like code compliant?

--
Due to Usenet spam, emailed replies must pass an intelligence test: if
you want me to read your reply, be sure to include this line of text in

Which line?

your email, but remove this line before sending, otherwise my filters
will delete your email with all due prejudice. Thanks!