Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_6_] Steve Barker[_6_] is offline

Default Dedicated Circuit: Is Junction Box Required?

On 7/2/2010 3:25 PM, Evan wrote:
On Jul 2, 4:20 pm, wrote:
wrote in message

,
typed:
I plan on adding a dedicated 20A GFIC outlet above my
kitchen countertop, fed from a new 20A circuit breaker via
12-2 w/ground Romex run through my attic and down inside
the wall to the outlet. Two questions:

1. Since it will be a dedicated circuit (only the one
outlet on it) does the electrical code require a junction
box between the breaker and the outlet?

2. Since the outlet will be the end of the line, is it
necessary to use wire caps and jumpers for the hot and
neutral in the outlet box, or can I simply run them
straight to the outlet terminals? I've seen the
connections drawn both ways in reference books. They all
show the wire cap and jumper to a screw for the ground
wire, but differ as to the need for wire caps and jumpers
for the other two wires.

Contact your local code enforcement office and ask them. No one here is
going to know preciesly what their requirements are.

HTH,

Twayne`

People on this group tend to know NEC and CEC, which is certainly the basis
for whatever local jurisdictions use. Why is it that you think everyone has
a " local code enforcement office"? I for one, have nothing like that in my
area.

LOL... You do have such an office, you just live in a large area
served
by a county-wide or state-wide "local office"...

Most places in the US have a city or town wiring inspector OR pay a
fee to their county to have the county inspector conduct the wiring
inspections and sign off on the permits...

~~ Evan

LOL! the county just to the south of me has no such "codes"
"enforcement" or inspectors. You can build a complete house from
scratch, and no such permits except for a septic system are required.
So to say " You do have such an office," is not always correct.

--
Steve Barker