Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Material for workbench top

On 7/7/2010 11:42 PM Ziggs spake thus:

I have a 15 year old particle board workbench. The top is worn and I
would like to put some type of material over the top so that I have a
smoother surface. Any Suggestions? If so, what material should I
have cut to specs and what's the best way to place it (thickness)?
Nail it in? Sand top, apply adhesive, press new top on?

I like masonite. You can get it in 1/8" or 1/4" thicknesses Almost
Anywhere, possibly even cut to size (for that I'd go to a real lumber
yard instead of the Big Orange Store). Glue it on with ordinary white
glue, using lots of weights (heavy books, bricks, etc.). Should hold up
better than particle board.