Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cleaning Piano Keys

On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 21:24:24 -0400, Nate Nagel
wrote:

On 07/07/2010 07:41 PM, zaax wrote:
Jeff The Drunk wrote:

On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 15:00:17 -0400, "Michael"
wrote:

Does anyone know how to remove Crayola Invisible Marker from ivory
piano keys? Warm soapy water didn't work.
Thanks

Try bleach. Test a small area first to see how it reacts. I use it
diluted by 50% on kitchen counters and full strenght in the toilet
bowl. Does wonders for stains at least for me.

Bleach will disolve ivory.

try an alcohol-soaked cotton swab or rag

If it's only a couple keys, a good piano tuner should have some
replacements in his truck. However, unless he is older than Methuselah,
he likely won't have real ivory ones. My parents salvaged a nice old
upright piano years ago and a couple of the keys always bothered me
because most of them were ivory, but a couple that had gotten damaged or
missing over the years had plastic on them.

The good news is that they are as far as I know a dead standard size, so
if it *is* only a couple of them, and they *are* plastic and not real
ivory, and it's only a couple of them, next time you have the piano
tuned ask the tuner to replace those caps for you and you will be good
to go.

Now had I managed to draw on real ivory keys with anything more
permanent than a No. 2 pencil... well... I got grounded enough as a
kid, I didn't need a spanking as well.

good luck

Permanent marker comes off of almost anything with "expo whiteboard
cleaner" - and cleaning ivory keys (to get them "white" again) - my
piano tuner said to use lemon juice when I rebuilt my old upright
grand.