Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT-Masses of unemployed

Temp agencies may be the wave of the future.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message

Which is my point -- if I want to hire just one person for productive
work _and_ stay within the confines of all due regulations I can't.
Or
at least I can't without either taking a huge hit to my own
productivity, contracting the HR work out (it can be done, but there's
still a productivity hit), or blithely ignoring a bunch of regulations
that may or may not bite me down the road.

All the rules are written with the assumption that employers are
self-centered, evil, and have infinitely deep pockets. That describes
large corporations pretty well, but when you get down to small
businesses the "deep pockets" definition goes right out the window,
and
"self-centered" and "evil" only apply to a nasty few, not the
majority.

There's got to be a way to find some middle ground so that I don't
have
toxic waste from some neighbor flowing across my land, yet I still
have
a way to spread my wealth to happy employees without turning into an
unpaid cop* and bureaucrat for every government entity whose territory
happen to be in.

* And Gunner, before you start cackling with glee -- if I hire someone
then _I_ have to make sure that they're not an illegal immigrant; _I_
have to get all their documentation and keep it on file -- even if
they're one of the two boys whose births I was present at, or one of
my
nieces or nephews who I've watched grow up. Furthermore, if I want to
sell to the government, or to a government supplier, _I_ have to be
the
asshole that sends my employees off to drug testing and then fires
them
if they don't pass. So it's not just "those damn liberals" that put
this burden on me.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services