Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Denis G.[_2_] Denis G.[_2_] is offline

Default Ingersoll-Rand "GarageMate" Air Compressor arrived

On 2010-07-04, Denis G. wrote:

On Jul 4, 9:46*am, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
*"Denis G." wrote:

On Jul 3, 7:16*pm, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
The little AllTrades 5-gallon air compressor I had been using since April
2006
was not quite large enough, and was easily outrun. *And VERY LOUD, to the
point
that I had to either leave the shop or wear hearing protectors. *It's a
cast-iron direct-drive oil-lubricated one-piston unit running at 3450 rpm.
*So,
I was in the market for a bigger unit.

* * * * [ ... ]

I wonder if this uses an 8 pole motor to get the direct drive ~1000
rpm? *Multiple pole motors (I believe) get you more torque, but it may
be difficult to find a generic replacement if it ever fails and you
need to replace it.

No, it's plain old belt drive. *The motor is an ordinary 60 Hz two-pole motor,
with two capacitor humps. *Common as dirt. *I don't think that motor replacement
will be difficult, should it ever be needed.

Here is some data:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200375221_200375221.

One can download the brochure and manual from this webpage.

* * * * FWIW -- both the manual and the brochure have the same file
name, so if you download them, rename one before it overwrites the
other. :-)

Joe Gwinn- Hide quoted text -

Ok, I see. *I should have looked at the Northern Tool website myself
before commenting. *I thought that direct-drive meant that it would
have a C-face type motor with couplings instead of using pullieys.

* * * * The direct drive was the one which he was replacing, not the new
one.

* * * * Enjoy,

--
*Email: * * | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
* * * * (too) near Washington D.C. |http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html

You're right. I'll read more carefully next time! Thanks.