Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Phase II and BXA

On 2010-07-04, Wes wrote:
I couldn't find the thread where we discussed Phase II and BXA but I decided today to dump
my Aloris AXA wedge and go with Phase II BXA wedge for my Clausing 6903.

Good move!

Now, assuming
the post is worth having, I can build up a collection of holders which is what QC is all
about.

You can, and should.

I'll also get to use some BXA holders that came with the lathe.

I presume that you got the set, so you have five holders (of
which one is probably going to sit there unused -- the knurling one. I
used a scissors style knurler until I lucked into a genuine Aloris BXA
knurling holder which has the two rolls on arms mounted on dovetails
with a leadscrew driven by a knurled knob which is left-hand thread on
one end and right-hand thread on the other, so turning it in one
direction moves the arms together, and the other direction moves them
apart -- while maintaining the height adjustment for all sizes of
workpiece.

The one thing you probably should do is to get a box of good
American made metric set screws (8mm IIRC) to replace those which hold
the tools. The ones in the holders are likely to split when you torque
down on a tool, making it very difficult to remove the tool in the
future. (Of course, they may have improved the metallurgy since I got my
set.) I actually took the time to re-tap the holes to an inch thread
which is quite close to the metric thread -- and which means that I can
use the same Allen key in both the Phase-II and the Aloris holders. But
that gun tap which I used is probably not good for anything more now.
That is some tough metal in those holders. :-)

The only regret is my
Aloris AXA threading holder won't fit. Not a big issue since when one threads, the
compound tends to get set to 29.5 or 30. Changing out a tool post isn't a big deal.

O.K. I normally leave the compound at 29.5 degrees -- and only
shift it if doing left-hand threads. Except that I had to shift it the
other night, with the lathe covered with newspaper, prior to using a
toolpost grinder (the first time I have actually *used* one which I have
had for a couple of years now. But there was a task which really
required that, so it was time. :-)

Careful work with a carbide dovetail cutter could convert the tool holder to the new post.

Even the Phase-II holders are tough. I hope your mill is rigid
enough to handle the carbide in that job.

But I think that you would be losing significant rigidity in the
old holders. Maybe just look for another threading holder in the right
size on eBay -- and maybe the threading bit will move between the sizes.

But for threading, I tend to use laydown carbide inserts in one
of the BXA holders which extends out closer to the workpiece for better
rigidity. I did some 3/8-32 threading in D2 steel the other day, and it
worked nicely. That D2 steel is *expensive* compared to A1 or the
various water and oil quenching steels. $47.?? for a 36" rod of 3/8"
diameter.

I might try reworking my CDCO holders if it works out okay. Change that, the CDCO holders
will be the guinea pig, if it works out, then I'll attack my Aloris threading tool holder.

:-)

My metal working content for today.

A good start.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564