Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default Should a pool light bulb be touching water only halfway (half in, half out)?

"Terra Arcane" wrote in message
On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 09:47:54 -0400, RBM wrote:

It was only half full because the leak was on the bottom of the fixture.

That makes sense. The air in the "niche" probably couldn't escape so that
prevented more water from coming in.

There is no "pool maintenance" company. I bought the house as a
foreclosure
and the pool was green with scum in it. I cleaned it all out but never
owned a pool before so I had to figure out how the pipes went.

I removed all the lights when I cleaned the pool to clean out the scum,
and
then after that, they would blow the GFCI after five minutes. So, I think
it was my fault all along; I shouldn't have re-used the gaskets.

There's sooooo much to learn. I don't even know what all the bottom
fixtures are. I googled and googled and learned what I could. Is there any
way to get the old diagrams of the pool?

Just find a neighbor with a pool. In a few minutes you'll understand it all.
You probably shouldn't have pulled everything apart to clean it though. I
bought my house about 14 years ago, from an estate, and the pool looked like
green jello. The trick is to just dump $100 worth of chemicals in it, then
filter the hell out of it.
You're in for a real treat with your new money pit. All it takes is a few
hundred dollars each year, provided you do all the work yourself, and then
every three or four years, you have to go for a few thousand dollars, then
eventually, just when you get good at it, your pool looks like mine does
now, and then you go for your lungs.
http://picasaweb.google.com/10911899...eat=directlink