Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default Should a pool light bulb be touching water only halfway (half in, half out)?

wrote in message
On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 09:47:54 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

"Terra Arcane" wrote in message
On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 14:31:56 -0700, Terra Arcane wrote:

I noticed the water level inside the light fixture was half
way on one light; in the other three I couldn't tell so it must be 100%
full.

Correction: On the other two, it appears they were 100% empty of water.

Now that I replaced the gasket on the light that was (strangely) 1/2
full
of water, the GFCI no longer trips because the third light is now also
empty of water (kept out by the rubber gasket and tons of silicone
goop).

It's weird that it was only 1/2 full (and not 100% full since the whole
light assembly is submerged) ... and I wasn't sure how tight to tighten
the
steel band that holds the glass onto the rubber seal onto the steel
light
fixture.

I made it VERY TIGHT but I was afraid I would shatter the glass. How do
you
know when it's enough tightening on the two-inch-long bolt for the steel
band?

It was only half full because the leak was on the bottom of the fixture. I
generally recommend replacing the entire fixture. In my experience, pool
maintenance companies never seem to be able to reseal these things, and
invariably they leak again. Possibly they're trying to use the old gasket,
so hopefully you'll have better luck

The manufactures all say if you open the light, you replace the
gasket. They are a one shot deal.

I've never messed with one myself. Typically I get a call that the pool
lights aren't working, I find and disconnect the offending fixture from it's
deck box and have the customer have their pool maintenance company fix or
replace it, then I reconnect it. Whenever it was "fixed", they leak, so I've
just been telling customers to have them replaced, which ultimately probably
saves time and money.