Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg O[_2_] Greg O[_2_] is offline

Default Shop Wall and Electric

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
Bill wrote in :

As I understand it, Lowes is switching over from Delta tools to
Porter-Cable tools--this process seems to be happening at different
speeds at different locales. I picked up the Delta 14" BS, as part of
my store's clearance sale, new-in-box, for $150. I may pick up the
Delta drill press (Model 17-959d) once I get my shop in order.
Woodcraft and others offer it for $579--that seems to be the "minimum
advertised price". My current electrical project is keeping me
occupied, but I'll get a DP when I need it to drill mortises.

Does your local Lowes have the 17-959 on sale? I've been thinking about
upgrading my drill press (a $100 Ryobi benchtop) to something more
substantial. If yours does, maybe mine will too. (You're in Indy, right?
I'm left of Indy about 300 miles.)

I'll definately take a look next time I'm in there.

*snip*

Bill

Puckdropper

Just to muddy the decision a bit, but have you looked at a used older
commercial/industrial machine?
I was looking for a drill press myself. I looked for a long time as the 3/4
HP Jet I had was getting me by. I finally ran accross a 1970's vintage
Powermatic 1200, for $600. The only down fall was the PM 1200 came with a 3
phase motor, but I had a spare Variable frquency drive laying around that
converted 240 single phase into the 208 3 phase the 1200 needed. Also the
motor could have been replaced with a single phase motor.

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/w...201200/VFD.jpg

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/w...LRleftside.jpg

I looked for 2-3 years before this drill press came along, and I am sure I
am done looking!
Just something to consider!
Greg