Posted to alt.home.repair
TWayne TWayne is offline

Default Dedicated Circuit: Is Junction Box Required?

In ,
RBM typed:
"Twayne" wrote in message
In ,
RBM typed:
"Evan" wrote in message
On Jul 2, 4:20 pm, "RBM" wrote:
"Twayne" wrote in message

,
Josh typed:
I plan on adding a dedicated 20A GFIC outlet above my
kitchen countertop, fed from a new 20A circuit breaker
via 12-2 w/ground Romex run through my attic and down
inside the wall to the outlet. Two questions:

1. Since it will be a dedicated circuit (only the one
outlet on it) does the electrical code require a
junction box between the breaker and the outlet?

2. Since the outlet will be the end of the line, is it
necessary to use wire caps and jumpers for the hot and
neutral in the outlet box, or can I simply run them
straight to the outlet terminals? I've seen the
connections drawn both ways in reference books. They
all show the wire cap and jumper to a screw for the
ground wire, but differ as to the need for wire caps
and jumpers for the other two wires.

Contact your local code enforcement office and ask them.
No one here is going to know preciesly what their
requirements are.

HTH,

Twayne`

People on this group tend to know NEC and CEC, which is
certainly the basis
for whatever local jurisdictions use. Why is it that you
think everyone has
a " local code enforcement office"? I for one, have
nothing like that in my
area.

LOL... You do have such an office, you just live in a
large area served
by a county-wide or state-wide "local office"...

Most places in the US have a city or town wiring inspector
OR pay a fee to their county to have the county inspector
conduct the wiring inspections and sign off on the
permits... ~~ Evan

Not exactly. I live in Westchester county, NY. I hold a
master electrician's license issued by the county. When I
do electrical work, depending upon the particular
jurisdiction , I hire an inspection company and I pay them
directly. There are no electrical code enforcement offices
that a citizen can call and get any information regarding
electrical requirements.

You are either weasel-wording or just outright uneducated.
There IS code enforcement, whether you choose to recognize
it or not.

You constantly tell people to call their "code inforcement
office" for answers to their electrical questions. I'm
saying that there is no code inforcement office in my
county or any neighboring counties. When licensed
electricians do work, we have accounts with private
,certified electrical inspection companies.We hire them and
they inspect our work. There is no governmental office that
one can call for answers to electrical questions, and the
private inspection companies are only going to tell a
person to call a licensed electrician.

What town/city/village/county/state do you live in? Perhaps I can help you
with that.

It's folly to take advice from people that cannot see/experience your
specific problem wthout knowing first what the specific requirements are.
You won't get that here; you'll get advice and guesses. 99.99% of the
country DOES have their own local offices, so whatever your problem is, and
I think it's just not knowing where/who to call/write to, so the advice to
check with them is excellent advice. Without information from the
controlling authority, you cannot be expected to adhere to the code, even if
all it says is to adhere to the NEC.

HTH,

Twayne`