Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad
Dan[_14_] Dan[_14_] is offline

Default The urge to kill

Martin Riddle wrote:
"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message ...
The urge to kill...

Just changed out a kitchen sink disposer.

Original equipment, put in when the house was built 16 years ago.

Some "master" plumber filled every threaded (plastic drain) joint with
plumbers putty :-(

Dried up after 16 years... I had to break it to get it apart :-(

What was your outcome with the in slab leak? Dig it up, and
pipe-in-pipe?

Cheers

You could have gone all year without mentioning an under slab leak.
I recently had one under my bathtub. Older house, drain was leaking,
then when I gained access to the drain plumbing the cold water supply
developed pinhole leaks. I did a temporary fix on that until I could
dig up enough slab to get to good pipe. The hot water supply pipe decided
it need to leak also. Fortunately the leaks were near the tub drain,
unfortunately enough sand washed into the drain by the time I noticed
it to have clogged the drain. The drain pipe was PVC, the supply lines
were copper.

On the plus side I installed shut offs to the tub and learned that
plated brass tub drains do corrode to lace.

As for plumber's putty, it does have a long shelf life and you can
use it in a pinch. It also works great on old iron pipes. My personal
experience is leaks always show after the stores close on Saturday and
before they open on Monday. I'm not saying go buy some just in case, but
if you already have some it's handy for hobbies too.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired